Saturday, April 14, 2018


Felt really great this morning! Heard some people talking about stretching to Burgos, which would have been a little over 40 kilometers. Then heard they were sending packs on taxi. Decided I would not go to Burgos.  So we began the hike out of the valleys. 

Uhhh, that means uphill!  I am a traversing climber. As I was passing another group of "trudgeons" (this is a word I made up for people that trudge directly up the fall line), I was weaving between them and passing them all. One of the ladies said "you seem very light on your feet, you must be a dancer". I replied "I have been known to dance a bit". About that time someone hollered "that's the dancer from Najerre". There was some laughing and cat-calls and some gal said "I hear you dance with all the ladies".  I answered "I try". As I reached the summit and looked back, there was a snake of people coming up along the trail behind me. 

The next leg was a 13k "primitive" section which means "through the woods with no towns for supplies". Turned out to be a logging road. A muddy logging road. As I entered the next village I ran into Bill. He has been sending his pack by taxi to recuperate his feet. We continued along to the next big decision point. The decision was stop here in Atapeurco with 5 choices of beds or " hope" for a bed in the next small town with only 16 beds. If it was full, you have to do another 20K into Burgos. We opted for a nice place here and a short day tomorrow. 

39,800 steps, 18.3 miles, 144 flights
About average distance and in a nice little Albergue with only 5 to a room and good facilities.

Buen Camino










No comments:

Post a Comment