Saturday, April 7, 2018

A couple of kids, tryin' to save each other


This picture really does not really show the view. But the event was outstanding!



I was just leaving the beautiful hilltop town of Cirauqui and looked across the valley shown in this picture.  It was raining and I needed to remove the  phone from the plastic bag to get any chance at capturing the view. I had ducked my head inside my poncho to prepare the camera. As I took my head out to decide which direction to aim the  camera, it happened!   A gigantic artery of lightening streamed the length of the valley and dropped a curtain of lace streamers into the valley below. As I recovered from the thunderous impact (zero delay) I realized I was looking DOWN on lightening !
It was an unbelievable sight. The clouds were on the hilltops and the discharge went downward from my elevation.

Most people know I have always been fascinated with lightening and this was clearly the most beautiful I have ever seen.

As I started walking down into the valley, the song running in my head changed immediately. It went straight to Jamey Johnson's " You shoulda seen it in color"










It rained ALL day.

37600 steps, 17.2 miles, 157 flights

I had originally intended to stretch my legs today and skip Estella to add another 10k or so on the day.  That didn't feel like such a good idea as I walked into Estella and saw the Albergue.  I am warm and dry now😂

Lots of beautiful countryside as we decended into the wine country. Similar to the Sonoma Valley, but completely different architecture.

We did a section on the ancient Roman Road today and it was more impressive than I expected. Literally billions of stones must have gone into the full length of this road. The width, depth and elevation fill that went into this trail is stunning. To imagine it being done thousands of years ago without mechanized equipment just puts you in awe.

The church entry in the pictures is part of a group of buildings started in the 11th century and finished in the 14th century. Very impressive!

Met Lee, 63 from Canada. He and his wife started the Camino last year together. She fell ill and they had to go home. She got home to a diagnosis of stage 4 stomach cancer and passed away in October. She told Lee to go finish the walk. He carries a necklace with some of her ashes. 

Met Stephanie, 50-something 😏 from Australia. She was fed up with her health, her job and saw 3 friends die in last 2 years. She sold her house, quit her job and bought a kit and ticket to Spain. She hopes to improve her health, clear her mind and then start over when she returns home.

Saw many previous mates and told one goodbye as she only had a week to hike this year and we've used it up.

My "head music" today was Alabama's "Old Flame' until the lightening event in Cirauqui after which the tune became Jamey Johnson's " You shoulda seen it in color"

You can still see my progress HERE on SPOT.  

Buen Camino


3 comments:

  1. Awesome trip Bob. We wish we were with you! Keep the stories and pictures coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lightning would have scared the crap out of me! I'm absolutely terrified of lightning when outdoors.

    ReplyDelete