Monday, April 30, 2018

Day 28 - Wet morning, but having fun! Short return from mountain.


Once I got temperature under control, having good hike.  Temp came up quickly into 40s, but still raining, so needed rain gear without insulation.  So, I'm hiking in my underwear, frog-togs, windbreaker and poncho😎. Only bad part was getting naked on side of trail to get everything rearranged. That was cold!!! Since I went down one route, up wrong route and now going down correct alternative, it has been mostly new trail.

Eating breakfast at 11:00, having excellent chorizzo empanada.

Because I did return loop and essentially backed up two days, I have seen people I had gapped earlier and got some camino news. 

Ruta had her birthday in Leon. Bill from Cape Cod is going very slowly nursing shin splints, but intent on finishing.  600mg Ibuprofen is the fuel of the caminando😁  Of course that's what got Agitha in trouble with her toes!  Alfie from Australia had to go home. His right arch collapsed and doctor in Burgos said to quit. The other guy from Texas is 3 days behind. Tim (yankee kid that owes me money) is about a day behind. Lee from Canada has disappeared.  

Will be back in Sarria in a few hours. Trying to decide what to do. I don't want two '"zeroes", but don't see much option. I may do a complete wash and dry of all my equipment.  That will take a lot of time, but need to do it in private room which will cost extra.  We will see. 

Buen Camino
---------------------------
Very cold rainy start to head back down to Sarria this morning  Snowline was 900 meters. Spent the night in Albergue at 800 meters, so it was COLD this morning. Warmed up quickly into 40s and had to revise clothing. A little climb and then a lot of downhill. Since I came up a rather unconventional route yesterday (somewhat lost), going down today was 3rd view of the mountain. I can say that I pretty much saw all of this mountain in 3 different passes. This extra mileage will also put me over 500 miles at Santiago de Compostella. Finesterre and any other hiking will be bonus miles😋


Really cruising today.  Maybe it's because I've been hiking for 4 weeks!  
28 days on the trail.
Who woulda thought?
Today's numbers
26,984 steps, 12.4 miles, 120 flights

Margaret and Larry will arrive on Wednesday. I need to do a thorough cleaning of clothes and equipment. After 28 days things are probably just a little,,, dirty.  So, I'm going to take a zero day in a private room and not hike tomorrow.  Really seems strange to say that. Not to be going anywhere tomorrow. No planning for distance or stops.  No miles?  Withdrawal?  Just different.  No, it's ok, we'll get back to moving soon.  Yep, it may be withdrawal.

Buen Camino







---------------------------
These are everywhere.  They last for many months. No refrigeration.


Hog hind quarters. Show Taylor.
Luv


1 comment:

  1. You should bring one of this “Pata Negra” jamon to Texas
    Buen Camino

    ReplyDelete