This was the big climb of the Camino. Not highest elevation, but biggest differential in one day.
I HAD A BLAST!
My pack is 3 pounds lighter and Bob is about 12 pounds lighter, so it was a fun climb. We started off alongside the big highway, then branched off to the single lane, old road, then we went to the woods for about half of the day. Runoff streams alongside most of day, even if sometimes 200 feet below. Pictures will help, but won't do justice to the ascent. I took pictures from above and below the group because I was passing and waiting all day. In some of the "landscape" pictures look real close and you can see the trail carved into the side of the mountain. There were a couple of old farm villages that had bars (cafe) and so we stopped twice for refreshments. In one town we all had to move for the cattle drive coming thru town. Primitive little town that tolerates the pilgrims and continues their life😂 Also try to see that the entire mountainside is deep purple. Apparently this area is known for it's very dark honey and the locals attribute it to the purple flowers.
This Albergue is literally at the top of the mountain and has great views out both sides.106 beds split into two rooms. Sign on door says "beginning peregrinos must wait until last hour for bed". This town is ALSO a popular starting point, but those hiking up get bed priority.
Only 3 pm here, so I'm going out for a meal. But, it's rather cool at this elevation and normal clothes MUST be washed. So, my attire of long johns, shorts, short sleeve shirt and flip-flops is rather hodge podge, like many others in town!!!
Met Kelly and Suzy today from Australia. Mother and daughter that started in SJPDP on March 27. Mom wanted to go and daughter was easily convinced. Without being too offensive asking a woman her age, I asked Kelly if she had made 60 yet? She replied "Oh goodness yes, I made 70 a while ago and that's all I'm saying". She was doing fine on the climb, just making her own pace.
Buen Camino









No comments:
Post a Comment