Thursday, April 12, 2018

Day 6


Departed Estella this morning in 42 degree rain.  I was concerned because I needed to do 3 sections in 2 days to get to next ATM. Cash (euros) was short, credit cards and dollars are worthless in the country.  



The forecast was 100 percent rain and we were all feeling rather dejected. The rain was light, but steady and cold until about noon, when it became light mist. 



Shortly after 1 o'clock, just outside Los Arcos (normal stage end) the sun came out!  I had already intended to stretch my distance and was happy to see the sun.  As where a bunch of the gang and so about 10 of us stretched to Torres del Rio. 



46,405 steps, 21.4 miles, 171 flights.



Beautiful valley walk, after the climb to get into the valley!  Ouch, that part was in the rain.



Did a lot of solo today. Visited with many folks, that were also solo-ing.  Not much grouping today, until now. We have killed 5th bottle of wine, so far. Starting on bread and cheese, which will mean more wine. Must have been those extra miles.



Song in my head all day was the same. Some melody that I have no idea where I heard. Shared my lunch in an olive grove with a guy that we could never find a word in common. We just pointed. Have no idea what language he was speaking. Not any language I have heard so far.



Bad thing about solo-ing today is that I figured out why everything is so picturesque. It's 90+ percent groomed. By groomed I mean rowed, organized, planted, controlled, mono-cultivated lands. Even the "forest" is planted in rows. There is only about 10 percent or less that is "wild" lands.  Lots of bees in all the new blooms. Many things blooming, this is a great time to be on trail.

About the walking.  You must leave between 6am and 8am. No options. The last two days I have been last one out the door at 8-something 😙

Number 5 now  on Fitbit Leader Board 😈 , tomorrow should peak me at about #3. Even this mileage can't get me any higher. The more you condition now, the more you can enjoy on trail.


Very tired,

Buen Camino










No comments:

Post a Comment