Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Day 20 - I can see the future


Morning
Ok,,,, Margaret bring REI sleep sack. Larry, the lightest bedroll you have. Some dork opened window last night. It's cold outside at night in Gallicia! Bill was pissed, he had to find blankets. I just snuggled down 😂
The way they use heat over here is weird. They turn on heat about 6pm to offset evening temperature drop. Then about 10pm they shut it off. In albergues, hostals and hotels, they do the same thing. When some dork opens a window, everyone is screwed.  We picked up newbies yesterday. They have to be trained 😂
----------------------------------
Today was not real hard, but pretty long and we started climbing again😁
Our primitive detour from yesterday, dumped us back onto the "official" route and we're back into traffic. The long approach on Astorga finally opened up to a view of the city, and the mountains beyond!  That's the future.

The church and square are quaint version of the big towns. Very nice and the clock in particular. Two life-size figures strike the bell with hammers😏 
I ate an entire pizza, along with a 7 Mississippi Cuba Libre for dinner.  It's preparation for tomorrow!  It's funny seeing the newbies and tourists in the square, from our prospective now.😙
Tomorrow we climb to the 2nd highest point on the Camino,,, all in one 25K day. The highest point will be two days later,,, the day before I get to Sarria.  Sarria is at the bottom of my next 4 days of climbing mountains.
Hooked back up with Madi, she's in our room. Sonya in room next door. We got all the scoop on the Leon party. Pretty glad I stayed at my Hostal. The hang over guys are a day behind us. Agitha is on a bus to Sarria for doctor directed 5 day "no miles". She had a huge, blood filled, blister on ankle and lost 7 toenails. Bret, from Sugarland is getting better miles on his Achilles tendinitis and is with us in this GIANT Albergue. 160 beds on 4 floors, 4 to 8 beds in a room. Nice, clean place!
49,496 steps, 22.6 miles, 83 flights.
The flights will certainly go up tomorrow!!!
I changed sock plan to today and accidentally pulled a small blister on back of heel. Medicated and taped now, but I didn't even feel it.  BTW, I am on last 2 days of green pookie. Bought some Aloe cream substitute to hold me until your arrival.

Time to go drink wine and make proper preparation for tomorrow 😎


Starting to do elevation.  Into Astorga. I can "SEE" the future. In the back of those pictures, you can see tomorrow.

Buen Camino











1 comment: