Yesterday, The Way "provided" me with a monster
cramp that caused me to give up on making my long run into Leon.
IF,,, I had continued it would have been a real mess.
I got back to Albergue and the hospitalera strongly
recommended reservations in Leon. She got both Bill and I reservations in 2
"last rooms" at separate locations.
What should have been a 2 hour stroll into town, turned into
a 3-1/2 hour maze through "Camino Provisional" routes directed by
"Civil Guardia" at numerous locations. This included a fresh cut
trail down a hillside "messy" area. If I had hit there last night I
would have been screwed. We checked into rooms and then hit the street. Many of
our friends are just wandering around looking for a place to stay. Not only are
all Albergues full, but so are hostals, hotels and parochials. The town
is jammed for some national food festival. We must leave tomorrow as there is
no place to stay tomorrow night.
So lodging and dinner tonight have cost me the same as 3+ days
out on the trail😏
The late lunch was great and oversized. We fed a few friends
passing by on the street!!! The town is much like Burgos as far as street
life, food and mingling in the streets. Really cool environment.
Spending some extra rest time on a short day.
22,566 steps, 10.3 miles, 46 flights
Met a cool lady in Albergue last night. Her name is Mel from
Tennessee. Mid 60's. Her trail name Gamel. Georgia, Alabama, Mel. She has
double mileage on AT, as she did all the sections before retirement and then
thru-hiked as soon as she retired. She's over here for a different kind of
hiking.
When I was on my "mission" yesterday, a young guy,
Jay, from California dropped in with me for a while and we talked equipment. He
said he was solo-ing because the guy that was supposed to vacation with
him on the Camino decided to quit his job and go with another friend on the
PCT.
It's amazing how people from all over Europe are drooling
for a piece of the AT or PCT. I am starting to understand why, but that's
another e-mail😎
Buen Camino












No comments:
Post a Comment