Morning After...
Seems to be something about 39 and raining in the morning...
And hung over this morning.
Long range weather forecast shows warming trend over next
week into upper 60's. All celebrating that news.
Away we go,
Buen Camino
-----------------------
Very Interesting Morning....
We are hiking through a large valley of vineyards. On each
side are hills about 300 to 500 feet higher elevation. The hills are being
covered with snow, the snow is falling toward us, but melting just before
getting to our lower elevation
And my coat is still too hot. Somewhere I will find a decent
windbreaker and my insulated coat will reside in the bottom of the pack!
Margaret, If you want to get Kuhl pants I believe the
quality is good. For rain, the frog tog pants over shorts is working fine for
me or they could be worn over long pants. Yesterday, when the rain had cleared,
I removed frog togs, wore shorts only and used poncho as windbreaker over light
long sleeve shirt at 50 degrees.
.
I will send photo of breakfast bar. It's packed in more than
one way😁
Buen Camino
 |
Packed Breakfast Bar
I hope this goes into the list as the toughest day.
41,180 steps, 18.9 miles, 195 flights
Started out at 39 and raining this morning. The
temperature went down from there on. As we hiked through the valley, you could
see the snow flurries on the hillsides. What reached us was"just
melted" raindrops😊. Then we hiked up into
the snowline! Temperature continued dropping. The last 6 kilometers was face
into 30 mph headwind and the temperature display on the edge of town read 0 c.
That's just plan old FREEZING folks! For the first time, my jacket was
not too hot.
The old saying goes "keep the engine running and the
heat will stay on" That requires also not running out of fuel. I almost
ran out of fuel today. Missed a food stop and paid for it later. Won't do that
again.
Staying tonight in a small private albergue in a small town,
with only a fireplace in the "great room". Lee says we are getting
the true medieval pilgrim experience! Tonight I will be wearing everything I
have inside my bedroll😎 We are all
huddled around the fire in blankets for now. The alternative is a church where
you sleep on the floor. The girls are making a jump to get to next town. 4
kilometers away and temperature is below freezing now. With no guarantee of
warmer bed, I'm staying here.
The locals say this is extremely cold for them as well.
Buen Camino
-----------------------
Moved....
Couldn't take the cold. Moved over to sleep on the floor in
the warm church. Tried to bury down and get warm at place with beds, but fully
dressed, in bedroll and liner, I was shivering. Wasn't going to be a reasonable night.
Hard effort in the cold. Will take easy day tomorrow.
|




No comments:
Post a Comment