Friday, May 4, 2018

Margaret's Version - Day 1

Traveling was good but long!! I was able to travel on business class between Newark and Madrid— now I really could get used to doing that. I had barely sat down and they brought me a glass of champagne. Dinner was awesome a glass of wine and then off to sleep. We arrived in Madrid made a withdrawal at ATM for euros (Larry taught us that using ATM and our TDECU debit card is least expensive way to do exchange) and off to find where we would catch transfer train to the train that would take us to Sarria. All went well there. Train ride to Sarria was 6 hours and 6 hr time change was hitting me hard. Watching the countryside helped pass the time. Arrived in Sarria to big hug and kisses from Bobby along with misting rain. We walked to the pension and dumped packs. Bobby toured us around town as he had scoured the town waiting for us to arrive. Slept like a log. 

Day 1 - woke and Bobby showed me how to do ritual packing. Had toast and a fried egg with queso and coffee that Pepino the owner made for us and then on our way.

In Bobby’s blog he talks about songs coming to his head. Mine wasn’t a song but a book— Oh the Places That You Will Go by Dr Seuss— the things that you will see and do. Margaret’s add— and the things that you will smell. Along the route the sights were beautiful— old rock buildings with slate roofs, fields of flowers, stone walls dividing crop areas AND the smell of cow dung being used for fertilizer every where. I know that is the best, but OH the smell.
For lunch had pizza at a little bar on the way that was fabulous along with a beer.
I am totally tired but was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t boink after we hit my record training day of 9 miles with no elevation changes.

Onward we will go in the morning.

Buen Camino (I practiced saying that in my head all day because a little shy about whether I would say it right— will try and get over that soon.)

2 comments: