Friday, May 4, 2018

Margaret Version - Day 2

Today I started out with “I feel AMAZINGLY good” some ladies from Seattle, WA overheard and thought that was a good mantra. My first thoughts went to the sounds I was hearing— chatter between friends and new friends, birds chirping everywhere including cuckoo birds which we never see, crunching of gravel beneath our feet, a brook flowing next to the path and the click-click cadence of Larry’s walking sticks. I always know when he is near. As August has said to us many times— it is a beautiful day. We climbed a lot and funny enough the downhill is harder for me than the uphill. The view from the tops of the hills were breathtaking— far in the distance was snow capped mountains with closer planted pine forest for wood, hay fields, rape seed fields for canola oil and gardens and farm houses dotting the hillsides. We haven’t really made connections with people like Bobby did but think that is the diff between hiking alone and with someone else. Not to say we haven’t met and talked with people just not as deep. Today’s hike really stretched me (personal best 17.5 miles/45K) and so in the morning we are shipping my pack to our destination. I will be able to go faster and then not on my feet as long. My definition of rolling hills is way diff than this. Bobby has been wonderful and patient (Larry too). Albergues are very comfortable and when you are as tired as I am and with wine you go to sleep and wake up in morning no problemo. We had a wonderful complete dinner inc dessert and wine for 10 Euros at a suggested restaurant tonight. Off to sleepy time. 




Buen Camino and love to all,
Margaret

2 comments:

  1. OMGeee, I love all of this for YOU girlfriend! It looks amazing and I know you are seeing & hearing some beautiful things. I can't wait to see & hear all about your adventure(s). Peace, Love, XOXOX Always.

    ReplyDelete